Fast, safe automation with new e-chain solution for long travels
The plane-chain ensures a compact energy and data supply in production
Production automation is growing steadily in the wake of Industry 4.0 and is demanding more reliable and space-saving energy supply solutions. igus has now developed the plane-chain, an innovative energy chain concept for long travels and high speeds. With a side-mounted e-chain in a new specially designed guide trough, the system ensures a compact and failsafe energy and data supply.
A look at modern production reveals that it is impossible to do without robots. This is most obvious in the automotive industry. Be it as a linear, gantry or industrial robot moving on the 7th axis. In confined spaces and in long travels, they always have to work reliably and quickly. A reliable energy and data supply is required here. With the plane-chain, igus has now developed a novel energy chain system for automation that provides maximum fail-safety in applications with high speeds and cycle rates. In the new concept, an energy chain is mounted flat on its side in a special trough. The advantage here is that the designer saves space due to the low installation height. The convex bathtub shape of the trough allows the E6 series e-chain to travel securely in two recessed channels. The stainless steel trough with its low friction factor ensures a long service life of the chain. For additional sound insulation of the system, a special plastic insulating layer can be used on the outside of the trough. Thanks to the lightweight components, the e-chain solution can be easily mounted below the ceiling for linear robots.
Reliable protection thanks to complete enclosure
Upon customer request, completely enclosed plane-chains are also available. Thus, no objects can get in from the outside significantly increasing reliability. In addition to the application potential of the plane-chain for automation, the new concept in enclosed form is also suitable for the energy supply on cranes. Here, cables and e-chains within the corrosion-free troughs are protected from severe damage caused by wind and weather.
- Smart plastics for railway in February issue of 'New Zealand Engineering News'
- Plane-chain in February edition of 'Industry Update'
- Readychain® solution in November issue of 'Industry Update'
- E-chain with QR codes in November issue of 'Process Technology'
- P4.1 Roller chain in the June issue of 'Industry Update'
- Small e-chains in April issue of 'Process Technology'
- E-chains for safe shore-side power supply in December issue of 'Bulk Handling Review'
- Honeycomb strain relief system in January issue of 'ECD' Magazine
- The less is more approach to Robotic Cable Management in 'WNIPT' magazine
- World's first Hygienic Plastic Energy Chain in March issue of 'Industry Update' Magazine