Safety at high speed with the igus e-chain system in the linear motor robot
Side-mounted igus energy chain, ensures reliable energy supply in high-speed lightweight linear robots
Twice as fast and half as heavy: this is what makes the linear motor robot from FIBRO LÄPPLE TECHNOLOGY (FLT) different from other solutions. In order for the linear robot to be able to get production up and running quickly and reliably, a compact, durable and quiet energy supply was required. A side-mounted igus energy chain system with pre-harnessed chainflex cables proved to be the optimal solution.
Linear robots are the automation tool of choice for machine or press loading, order picking and high-bay warehouse loading or even for transport and handling tasks. Due to the demands of production for faster, more intelligent and economically profitable solutions, FIBRO LÄPPLE TECHNOLOGY has developed a linear robot which fulfils the desire to maximise production performance. In a new carbon design, the linear motor robot saves up to 50% in weight compared to conventional solutions. The weight reduction enables twice the speed, accelerations of up to 26m/s2 and twice the positioning accuracy. Instead of a rack and pinion drive, the designers chose a linear motor because it allows very high dynamics. An unsupported igus energy chain of the E4.1 series ensures a secure energy supply for the z-axis. The integration of a suitable energy chain solution in the compact installation space of the x-axis was a challenge, because a classic gliding or unsupported solution was out of the question due to the high forces. “Together with igus, we therefore decided on a side-mounted energy chain”, explains Boris Bind, Head of Mechanical Design and Development at FIBRO LÄPPLE TECHNOLOGY.
Complete energy supply system directly from a single source
An E4.1 series energy chain is used with additional sliding elements that further reduce wear. The designers also used the igus range for the cables. They chose pre-harnessed chainflex cables – so-called readycables – that are specifically designed for use in the energy chain and, thanks to a large number of tests in the company’s own 3,800 square metre test laboratory, are given a guarantee for 36 months. The complete system is housed in a special guide trough, which further minimises noise and increases the reliability of the system.
- e-chain system in linear motor robot in May edition of 'Demm' Magazine
- Revolutionary igus autoglide 5 system
- igus opens digital innovations trade show 2020
- 36 months guarantee on igus energy chains
- Energy chains vs. motor cable drums in the February edition of 'Demm' Magazine
- Energy chains vs. festoons in November edition of 'Industrial Electrix'
- Universal clamp for cobots in September edition of 'Inside Robotics'
- e-chain expert online tool in September issue of 'Process Technology'
- New e-spool standard in August edition of 'Process Technology'
- Interview with John Sharp in Bulk Handling Review: Automation with e-chains